Friday, January 1, 2010

2009?

Well, we're done with this odd-numbered year...and now on to a nice, even-numbered one (I always do better in the even years). Here's a few things that I liked about 2009:

1. I got a dog...his name is Marcellus Wallace III, his favorite bands are Tears for Fears and Wovenhand, and his favorite activities are throwing small tennis balls, sitting in the laps of hot girls, and licking things...yeah, his life's pretty good.



2. I got a regular gig playing drums. I have had MANY regular gigs on guitar or bass, but only a few on drums (Waxheads, MRU, Leftovers). At the beginning of 2009 (3 days into it actually), I backed my old friend Patrick Morales on drums for a show at The Submarine opening for Corduroy Road. For some reason, that show just ignited something in me that made me wanna play drums every week...so I went out and found me a gig. In 15 years of playing in bands...I've never had to audition before. I've always either started the band myself, or been asked to join by someone I knew. In January of 2009, I answered an ad to audition for the drum seat in a band called matt.james. That gig has taken me to some great venues (Smith's, The Nick), some not so great venues (won't list those here), but more importantly, I've made loads of excellent new friends...which leads me to number three...



3. New Friends...I think I've made more new, great, friends this year than any other year I can remember. James, Chris N, Libby, Zack, Sara Duff, Chrissy Sara, TiBo, Chico, just a few that come to mind. Thank you amazing people.



4. Concerts: The standout concerts of the year were as follows:

Stryper in Tarpon Springs, FL
Mutemath in Atlanta, GA
U2 in Tampa, FL
Tears for Fears in Henderson, NV

These 4 concerts will go down on the books as some of the best I've ever seen.



5. The wedding of the year award goes to James and Mandy Hughes. The most fun I've had at a wedding in many years.



6.Memorable trips...St. Paul of course, went to Vegas 3 times this year...the summer trip was the best by far, the Stryper concert trip to Lakeland/Tampa, and the matt.james fall tour.



I will probably add more to this list in the coming days, but I just realized I am late for an appointment. Welcome to twenty-ten!!

-chall

No comments:

Followers